Space is set to grow from a 350 Billion dollar industry to an over 1 trillion dollar industry in the coming decades .
The drivers for this are:
- The rise of a new technology race and tension between large geo-political powers,
- The rapid increase in AI and supporting technologies, and the privatization of the space industry,
- A new shared vision for humanity — an increased sense that humanity is exceeding the capacity of our planet, and our species needs to evolve.
True AI intelligence emerging in parallel with space exploration and colonisation presents a historically unprecedented opportunity. We have the opportunity to create a new form of AI-human collaboration and steward the responsible co-evolution between AI and humanity.
This same deep science can then be applied to the lives of over seven billion humans on our planet. Personal AI can be used to help run every home, and to optimize for individual and collective wellbeing.
How Akin Can Help
Akin has developed advanced AI and robotics for the space industry, to act as long-duration assistants and companions.
Our AI software fills the roles of:
- Helper AI: performing complex tasks,
- Companion AI: acting as a member of a social group,
- Ambient AI: running a habitat and optimizing for wellbeing (decision core).
The constraints of space compel significant innovation. In space, compute power is scarce, and data has to be moved around in slow and costly packets.
AI developed for the space sector has to be highly compliant, able to reason through things with minimal human support, all while functioning in low-compute, low-data environments. They cannot simply turn to brute-force statistical learning systems as used in large language or multimodal models.